Avocado Salsa Dogs at the Shore
Hot dogs on the grill are a barbecue standard. These updated dogs have a tasty salsa topping finished off with sour cream! These will quickly become a new summer favorite.
- 8 all-beef hot dogs, each about 4 ounces
- 8 top-split or New England-style hot dog buns
- 1-½ cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (6 ounces)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 4 plum tomatoes, about 1 pound total, seeded and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 jalapeño chile peppers, seeded (if desired) and minced
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
Gently combine the salsa ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside at room temperature until ready to serve.
Brush the cooking grates clean. Cut a few shallow slashes in each hot dog and grill them over direct medium heat. Turn occasionally but keeping the lid closed as much as possible. Grill hot dogs until lightly marked on the outside and hot all the way through, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
Carefully place the hot dogs into the buns, making sure to keep the two halves of each bun in one piece. Top each hot dog with about 3 tablespoons of cheese and grill, with the hot dogs and cheese facing up, over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed, until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the grill and top each with an equal amount of the salsa, sour cream, and onion. Serve immediately.